Call for Applications
The David and Ruth Hopper and Ramesh and Pilar Bhatia
Canada Fellowship in the Philippines
at the Institute of Philippine Culture, School of Social Sciences, Ateneo de Manila University
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS EXTENDED TO JANUARY 31 2022 (MONDAY), 11:59 PM
IPC opens its fourth call for applications for Field Research Fellowship Program. The fund is co-supported by Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC) and the IDRC Alumni Association and managed by IDRC. Its purpose is to fund young researchers in the early stages of their careers, particularly women, through fellowships, scholarships, or internships.
The Hopper-Bhatia Canada Fellowship at the Institute of Philippine Culture (IPC) is open to all Ateneo de Manila graduate students in MA/MS or PhD programs with a field research component currently working on or about to undertake a thesis or dissertation fieldwork.
The research priorities of IDRC and the IPC ADMU focus on providing new insight into societal issues that require both a keen understanding of the local context and its connection to the global environment. Themes include (but are not limited to) health, technology, governance and sustainability, local communities, social capital, globalization, and social change. Researches with practical implications are highly encouraged to apply.
The Fellowship Program provides support for Field Work and Thesis Production, as well as a Skills Enhancement program.
Field Work and Thesis Production
Fellows will be provided with up to six units of thesis-related tuition and fees, along with a field research subsidy of up to CAD $1,000 or its equivalent in Philippine Pesos. Upon application, fellows are expected to prepare an indicative budget for approval. This budget may include travel costs, housing allowances, and other fieldwork-related expenses and can be further supplemented by allowable realignments in funding as discussed with the fellowship coordinator and approved by the IPC. The maximum amount for Field Research Subsidy and Thesis Production is the equivalent of CAD $2,100 in Philippine Pesos.
In the consideration of the current limitations brought about by the pandemic, the program is also open to applications from qualified graduate students who are conducting their data-gathering online.
Skills Enhancement Program
Building on core competencies of the IPC, such as gender analysis, participatory research methodologies, and research ethics, the fellowships also include a Skills Enhancement Program component that aims to advance new theoretical trajectories, develop capacity in participatory methodologies and engage the public through various seminars, workshops, brown bag sessions, and public lecture. Publication and conference support will also be provided.
Fellows are expected to produce an open-source article as well as share their findings either through a forum, brown bag session, or other means of knowledge dissemination at the end of the fellowship program.
How to apply:
- Complete the application packet, including:
- Approved thesis or dissertation proposal
- Certification of proposal defense from applicant’s home department
- AISIS printout of grades
- Accomplished Hopper-Bhatia Canada Field Research Fellowship Program Application Form
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Proposed fellowship budget and timeline (including fieldwork schedules and activities)
- A one to two-page document outlining the following (if not already included in the applicant’s thesis or dissertation proposal):
- A plan that categorically outlines steps to be taken to ensure the safety of research participants/respondents
- Discussion of alternative plans to access local knowledge, answering the question of how knowledge can still be co-produced and shared with partner communities or sectors given the current limitations brought about by the COVID-pandemic
- Proposed fellow-designed workshop, forum, or brown bag session (required)
- Letter of recommendation from thesis or dissertation supervisor that comments on the research project (including the stage of the research), theoretical and methodological approach(es), as well as the anticipated date of completion
Label and number all files accordingly e.g. “1_Thesis Proposal_[LAST NAME OF APPLICANT]”.
02. Send the application packet via email to email@example.com with the subject heading “Hopper-Bhatia Fellowship Application Submission – [LAST NAME OF APPLICANT]”.
The deadline for submitting applications is on 31 January 2022 (Monday) at 11:59 PM. Successful applicants will be notified before the start of the semester if accepted into the Hopper-Bhatia Canada Field Research Fellowship Program.
For more information, please contact:
Ms. Beatriz C. Beato
Institute of Philippine Culture
Click link for IDRC – IPC Application Form ver Nov 2020